Marijuana edibles pose risks to children Here are safety tips

Marijuana edibles pose risks to children Here are safety tips

The Importance of Storing Marijuana Edibles Safely to Protect Children’s Health


By Cara Murez, HealthDay Reporter

Marijuana edibles have gained popularity in recent years, especially for adults seeking alternative ways to consume cannabis. However, it is crucial to keep these products out of the reach of children to prevent accidental ingestion and potential health risks. The New Jersey Poison Control Center has recently issued warnings after treating 30 children between the ages of 1 and 12 who accidentally consumed marijuana edibles in July.

Dr. Diane Calello, the executive and medical director of the New Jersey Poison Control Center at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, emphasized the difficulty in distinguishing marijuana edibles from regular food items, especially for children. She stated, “It is difficult for anyone, especially children, to tell an edible marijuana product from food when the product is almost identical to common everyday foods and drinks.” To ensure children’s safety, Dr. Calello advises storing marijuana products, particularly edibles, in the same manner as medications – securely and out of reach.

Accidental ingestion of marijuana edibles by children poses a significantly higher risk of severe health effects and even death. Common symptoms include difficulty breathing, loss of coordination, drowsiness, and seizures. In severe cases, children may require admission to an intensive care unit, while almost all cases necessitate evaluation in an emergency room.

Caregivers may not immediately realize that a child has consumed edibles due to delayed reactions. Dr. Lewis Nelson, the chair of Emergency Medicine at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, warns against the high concentration of THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, found in some edibles. He advises adults living with young or school-aged children to carefully consider their purchases, as edible products often resemble ordinary treats and food items. While edibles may be enjoyable for adults and have potential therapeutic benefits, excessive THC levels can lead to dangerous overdose symptoms in children.

It’s not just children who are at risk; pets can also be harmed by accidentally ingesting marijuana products. Therefore, it is important to take preventative measures to avoid exposing children and pets to potential harm or overdose. Experts recommend storing edible products in secure, locked locations that are out of sight and reach. Additionally, it is advisable to limit the quantity of edibles kept in the household and ensure purchases are made from licensed sources, taking note of the THC concentration. These precautions can significantly reduce the risk of accidental ingestion and potential medical emergencies.

To further educate the public on the dangers of marijuana poisoning, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides valuable information on their website.

In Conclusion

With the increasing popularity of marijuana edibles, it is crucial to prioritize the safety and well-being of children and pets. The New Jersey Poison Control Center’s warnings serve as a reminder for adults to store these products securely, preventing accidental ingestion and potential health risks. Edibles that resemble everyday food items can be particularly challenging for children to differentiate, increasing the risk of consuming dangerous levels of THC. By taking appropriate precautions, such as storing marijuana edibles securely and only purchasing from licensed sources, caregivers can ensure the safety of their children and pets.


QUESTION The abbreviated term ADHD denotes the condition commonly known as:
A) Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
B) Attention Disorder of Hyperactive Individuals
C) Active Disorder and Hyperactivity Development
D) Attention Disorder and Hyperactivity Development

Answer: A) Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Keep up to date with the latest news and educational content by visiting